Today we have placed a temporary restoration (crown or bridge) to help protect the exposed dentin from sensitivity. The temporary helps prevent food from gathering until the permanent restoration is placed. The temporary is also helpful in preventing the prepared tooth from shifting or moving, which could make seating of the final restoration difficult.
In order to maintain optimal care of this temporary restoration, it will be necessary for you to pay specific attention to it during your daily dental routine. Please be sure to brush 2 – 3 times a day and floss the area each time pulling the floss through instead of “popping” it back out.
Because this was a surgical procedure it is normal for the tooth and gum tissue around the tooth to be sore for the next few days. To help aid in the healing process, please rinse with warm salt water by mixing ½ teaspoon salt in ¼ cup of very warm water. This needs to be done for 60 seconds, 3 times a day. Prior to bedtime, after you brush and floss, rinse with an equal mixture of ½ Hydrogen Peroxide and ½ mouthwash for 60 seconds.
Please remember that this restoration is “temporary.” Try to use this tooth as normally as possible, but please avoid chewy foods, i.e. candy, gum, fresh bread. Since this is a temporary restoration it is possible that it may come off and need to be recemented. If you should need any adjustments or have any questions, please feel free to call the office.
We appreciate your confidence in us and will do everything possible to make your treatment a comfortable and positive experience.
Opalescence PF Tooth Whitening Gel
Start the bleaching process by brushing and flossing your teeth. This is to remove any food or plaque buildup that can cause uneven bleaching.
Next, load a small amount of gel into the tray from the first molar-to-molar on the top and bottom. Concentrate the gel towards the front of the tray. Place the trays in your mouth and remove any excess gel that flows beyond the tray’s edge.
We recommend wearing the tray for about 2 hours. This time can be increased or decreased based on sensitivity or effectiveness. Upon removing the tray, brush and rinse your teeth again and rinse trays completely.
Contact our office if sensitivity persists longer than an hour following whitening. It is not unusual to experience blotching on the teeth from the bleaching gel; this usually goes away within a day. Again, feel free to contact us if this persists or you have any questions. General Reminders:
- Please do not eat, drink, or smoke while wearing bleach trays.
- Do not whiten when pregnant or lactating.
- Foods and Juices high in citric acid can cause sensitivity to the teeth.
- Coffee, tobacco, tea, and other products can restain your teeth.
- Store the bleaching syringes at room temperature away from direct heat/sunlight.
Denture Care Instructions:
For optimal denture care please purchase the following items:
- Tartar control toothpaste.
- Scope. (or your favorite mouthwash)
- Efferdent denture cleaner.
- During the first month of wear, expect some sore spots to develop.
- These sore spots can be adjusted in our office with some notice.
- Please leave the denture in so we can identify sore spots easily.
- After relieving the sore spots on your denture, expect some healing time. The denture should be brushed each evening using the denture brush and tartar control toothpaste.
- It is very important to take dentures out of your mouth when you sleep. This time is important to let your tissue rest. Store the denture in container filled with 1/2 mouthwash and ½ water. This will help keep the denture tasting fresh.
- Please clean the denture in Efferdent denture cleaner once a week during the night in your container. Be sure to scrub the container and denture afterwards.
- Please keep denture out of reach of any four legged friends. Kitties love to hide them and puppies love to chew them to shreds!
- Most importantly, please remember to bring your denture with you to all hygiene and restorative appointments. This allows us to clean, check, and adjust the denture for you!
- Never hesitate to call our office. We are here to give the best care possible.